storm-user mailing list archives

From Jason Kania <jason.ka...@ymail.com>
Subject Re: Question About Emitted, Transferred and Acked Bolts
Date Mon, 23 Feb 2015 19:14:26 GMT
I have two comments to add:
1) Is there any JIRA for invalid metrics values? I did not see one. I am running with bolts
having breakpoints and long before my bolts are every entered, the metrics indicate that these
bolts already have more than 100 emits. I have thought to raise a JIRA on this but I am not
sure what I would add for details. Would some specific debug output aid in resolving this?

2) For acks, is there any possibility of adding tracking for acks that happen after a timeout?
I can step into my bolt each time it is called and confirm that it is acking each request,
yet the acks do not match the emits (which should have a 1 to 1 ratio). I am guessing that
this is because the ack happened too late or it might be incorrect metrics total.

I use the STORM UI for processing tracking.

Thanks,
Jason
      From: Nathan Leung <ncleung@gmail.com>
 To: user <user@storm.apache.org>
 Sent: Monday, February 23, 2015 11:56 AM
 Subject: Re: Question About Emitted, Transferred and Acked Bolts

executed = # of times you called executedacked = # of executed tuples that you acked; ideally
this will match executedemitted = # of tuples that you emitted; if you call emit more than
once per execute call this can be higher than execute counttransferred = # of tuples transferred
downstream; if you have 2 bolts subscribing to your bolt, then this count can be higher than
emitted.