storm-user mailing list archives

From Tim Molter <tim.mol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Seeking opinions on moving storm from logback to log4j 2.x
Date Sat, 21 Feb 2015 11:18:13 GMT
I always thought the point of using slf4j was to give final control to
the end user of a library to pick and configure the specific logging
implementation. I would question the choice to use any logging
implementation at all, but then again, I'm not an expert in Storm at
all, just an outside observer. However, if you need a specific
functionality for syslogging that logback doesn't support, it seems to
me to be an issue with the way Storm handles logging.

I've seen this problem in Dropwizard too. They hard code an
implementation of logback and don't let the end user configure logging
themselves. I think their thinking is that they don't want to
"inconvenience" the end user to have to figure out logging for
themselves. The tradeoff, however, is that the end user is forced to
accept and work within that hard coded logging framework.

That's just my two cents from an observer's point of view. I have no
idea why Storm's logging is how it is or whether it's "good" or "bad".

~Tim