According to the storm docs, as of Storm 0.8 theparallelism_hint parameter now specifies the initial number of executors (not tasks!) for that bolt.
I assume this means that number of tasks and the number of parallelism hints have to be set separately and the number of executor threads (i.e., the parallelism hint) does not set the value of the number of tasks. Hence my question, what happens if the number of tasks is less than the number of executors?