storm-user mailing list archives

From Kashyap Mhaisekar <kashya...@gmail.com>
Subject Approach to parallelism
Date Sat, 03 Oct 2015 04:10:10 GMT
Hi,
I was trying to come up with an approach to evaluate the parallelism needed
for a topology.

Assuming I have 5 machines with 8 cores and 32 gb. And my topology has one
spout and 5 bolts.

1. Define one worker port per CPU to start off. (= 8 workers per machine ie
40 workers over all)
2. Each worker spawns one executor per component per worker, it translates
to 6 executors per worker which is 40x6= 240 executors.
3. Of this, if the bolt logic is CPU intensive, then leave parallelism
hint  at 40 (total workers), else increase parallelism hint beyond 40 till
you hit a number beyond which there is no more visible performance.

Does this look right?

Thanks
Kashyap