storm-user mailing list archives

From "Hart, James W." <jwh...@seic.com>
Subject RE: thread safe output collector
Date Fri, 29 Apr 2016 12:53:30 GMT
I’m working on a topology that will be similar to this application so I was thinking about
this yesterday.

I’m thinking that if there is any significant work to do on messages in making them into
tuples, shouldn’t the message be emitted and the work be in a bolt?  I don’t think that
bolt execute functions have the same limitations as spout nextTuple functions.  Now with that
said, bolt executes should not be long running computations either, but can be longer than
the spouts nextTuple function.

From: Stephen Powis [mailto:spowis@salesforce.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 28, 2016 11:59 AM
To: user@storm.apache.org
Subject: Re: thread safe output collector

So the Spout documentation (assuming its correct...) here (http://storm.apache.org/releases/current/Concepts.html#spouts)
mentions this:

"The main method on spouts is nextTuple. nextTuple either emits a new tuple into the topology
or simply returns if there are no new tuples to emit. It is imperative that nextTuple does
not block for any spout implementation, because Storm calls all the spout methods on the same
thread."
When developing a custom spout we interpreted it to mean that any "real work" done by a spout
should be done in a separate thread, and decided on the following pattern which seems some
what relevant to what you are trying to do in your bolts.
On Spout prepare, we create a concurrent/thread safe queue.  We then create a new Thread passing
it a reference to our thread safe queue.  This thread handles finding new data that needs
to be emitted.  When that thread finds data, it adds it to the shared queue.  When the spout's
nextTuple() method is called, it looks for data on the shared queue and emits it.
I imagine doing async processing in a bolt using one or more threads could work with a similar
pattern.  On prepare you setup your thread(s) with references to a shared queue.  The bolt
passes work to be completed to the thread(s), the thread(s) communicate back to the bolt the
result via a shared queue.  Add in the concept of tick tuples to ensure your bolt checks for
completed work on a regular basis?
Is there a better way to do this?

On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 11:22 AM, Julien Nioche <lists.digitalpebble@gmail.com<mailto:lists.digitalpebble@gmail.com>>