storm-user mailing list archives

From Nitin Gupta <Nitin.Gu...@e-zest.in>
Subject RE: Storm Topology Hanging
Date Mon, 11 Apr 2016 05:45:46 GMT
Hi Alex,

Thanks for the guidance!

Is there any formula to determine what should be  the ideal Max Spout Pending based on the
number of tuples per second and the latency time? I read some blogs where the same problem
occurred because the max spout pending was too high.

The worker log doesn’t show any messages on why the KafkaSpout has stopped picking the messages
from the queue . Is there any other place when we can get more information on this.

Thanks & Regards,
Nitin Gupta

From: Alexander T [mailto:mittspamkonto@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2016 1:13 PM
To: user@storm.apache.org
Subject: RE: Storm Topology Hanging

Hi Nitin,

You might get problems with max spout pending if you delay acking of one message until another
arrives. In this case having a low max spout pending can cause the buffers to fill before
the awaited message arrives. But this type of deadlock should cause a message timeout. If
you have disabled message timeout, however, you could get a deadlock without symptoms.

Another possible problem is auth failure. I don't know how the Kafka spout works, but the
Kinesis spout which we use is completely silent if it fails to connect. Very annoying.

Best regards,
Alexander
On Apr 7, 2016 7:58 AM, "Nitin Gupta" <Nitin.Gupta@e-zest.in<mailto:Nitin.Gupta@e-zest.in>>