storm-user mailing list archives

From Navin Ipe <navin....@searchlighthealth.com>
Subject Re: How does one distribute database iteration across workers?
Date Wed, 20 Apr 2016 03:29:24 GMT
@Jason: Thanks. Tried searching for Storm code which starts Ephemeral
nodes, but couldn't find it. (am new to Hadoop and Storm, so perhaps I was
searching for the wrong thing)

@Jungtaek: Will explore component tasks. Meanwhile, I had considered
Trident, but didn't go ahead because it was not clear how I could implement
multiple spouts in Trident, where each spout would iterate a certain number
of rows of a database. Any idea how that could happen.

On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 6:39 PM, Jungtaek Lim <kabhwan@gmail.com> wrote:

> There's other idea without relying on Zookeeper : use ordinal of task id
> between same components (spout)
>
> Task id is issued across all tasks including system tasks so you can't
> assume spout tasks are having task id sequentially, but whatever you can do
> the trick - check "ordinal" of this spout task's id around same spouts.
> Please refer GeneralTopologyContext.getComponentTasks(String componentId).
>
> Btw, Spout1 -> Bolt2 can be done with various ways but it would not be
> easy to aggregate the results of Bolt2 from Bolt3.
> You should consider windowing by processed time or Trident or maintain
> your own buffers.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Thanks,
> Jungtaek Lim (HeartSaVioR)
>
> 2016년 4월 19일 (화) 오후 10:02, Jason Kusar <jason@kusar.net>님이 작성:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've done a similar thing before with the exception that I was reading
>> from Cassandra.  The concept is the same though.  Assuming you know that
>> you have 10,000 records and you want each spout to read 1,000 of them, then
>> you would launch 10 instances of the spouts.  The first thing they do
>> during init is to connect to zookeeper and create an ephemeral node (
>> http://zookeeper.apache.org/doc/r3.2.1/zookeeperProgrammers.html#Ephemeral+Nodes)
>> starting with one called '0'.  If 0 already exists, you'll get an exception
>> which means you try to create '1' and so on until you successfully create a
>> node.  That tells you which batch of records that instance of the spout is
>> responsible for.  I.e., if you successfully created '3', then this spout
>> needs to set its offset to 3,000.
>>
>> The reason for using ephemeral nodes is that they are automatically
>> deleted if the zookeeper client disconnects.  That way if a spout crashes,
>> once Storm relaunches the spout, it will be able to re-claim that token and
>> resume work on that batch.  You'll obviously need to have some way to keep
>> track of which records you've already processed, but that's going to be
>> specific to your implementation.
>>
>> Hope that helps!
>> Jason
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 4:43 AM Navin Ipe <
>> navin.ipe@searchlighthealth.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks guys.
>>> I didn't understand "*...spout instances by utilizing Zookeper.*". How
>>> does one utilize Zookeper? Is it the same as ".setNumTasks(10)" for a Spout?
>>>
>>> As of now I've set
>>> config.setNumWorkers(2);
>>> and
>>> builder.setSpout("mongoSpout", new MongoSpout()).setNumTasks(2);
>>>
>>> I'm able to get spoutID in open() using this.spoutId =
>>> context.getThisTaskId();
>>> Strangely, my spoutID always begins with 3 instead of 0.
>>>
>>> By partitionID I understand that's the fieldGrouping's id.
>>>
>>> Even if I do all this, will the spout's tasks actually be distributed
>>> across multiple workers? Won't I have to create separate spouts?
>>> builder.setSpout("mongoSpout1", new MongoSpout());
>>> builder.setSpout("mongoSpout2", new MongoSpout());

--
Regards,
Navin