Hi,

I have a question on SolrUpdateBolt.execute() method.

It seems that SolrUpdateBolt is sending every tuple to Solr in the execute() method but sending a commit() only after a specified number of documents have been sent.

Would it be better if we batch the documents in memory and then send to Solr ?

I am drawing inspiration from another very popular search-engine bolt EsBolt that keeps the tuples in memory and then sends one batch-request along with ack() or fail() based on a single batch-request's outcome.

Here are some pointers on the EsBolt that shows how they do it:
EsBolt.execute()  --> RestRepository.writeToIndex() ---> RestRepository.doWriteToIndex()

If we do the same in SolrUpdateBolt, the number of http-calls is reduced by a factor of N, where N is the batch-size of the request and that would be a good performance boost IMO

Thanks,
Tid