storm-user mailing list archives

From Aaron.Dossett <Aaron.Doss...@target.com>
Subject Re: Storm unique strengths
Date Tue, 31 May 2016 13:37:43 GMT
Hi Leon,

This isn't an advocacy piece per se, but this analysis by several member of the Storm community
may be helpful.  For a particular use case you can compare performance and then assess whether
the features, user-friendliness, or API of a particular framework is worth switching to.

https://yahooeng.tumblr.com/post/135321837876/benchmarking-streaming-computation-engines-at

From: "leon_mclare@tutanota.com<mailto:leon_mclare@tutanota.com>" <leon_mclare@tutanota.com<mailto:leon_mclare@tutanota.com>>
Date: Monday, May 30, 2016 at 3:28 AM
To: "user@storm.apache.org<mailto:user@storm.apache.org>" <user@storm.apache.org<mailto:user@storm.apache.org>>
Subject: Storm unique strengths

Hi Storm team,

there are a lot of online comparisons between Storm and other Data Stream Management Systems,
yet few of them originate from Storm committers/advocats.
I am trying to identify the aspects that Storm possesses, which make it stand out among its
direct competitors. Currently there is significant competition from Apache Flink, although
less so from Spark due to its seconds latency restriction.

>From my experience Storm offers a unique support for DSLs, as well as a very flexible
concept of Spouts and Bolts. Other aspects however seem to have been improved upon by Flink
in greater part.

Would you be able to direct me to resources that argue more towards Storm's case?

Thanks in advance.

Leon