storm-user mailing list archives

From Arun Mahadevan <ar...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Tumbling Count and Time-Based WindowedBolt
Date Tue, 07 Jun 2016 04:59:41 GMT
Hi Cody,

Tumbling window can be either count or time based, not both.

I think what you want is a count based window with a time based sliding interval. The window
will activate every sliding interval and will give you the last “count” events. You can
use the “getNew” if you want only the new events since the last slide.

- Arun

From:  Cody Lee <codylee@wellaware.us>
Date:  Tuesday, June 7, 2016 at 3:16 AM
To:  "user@storm.apache.org" <user@storm.apache.org>
Subject:  Tumbling Count and Time-Based WindowedBolt

We noticed some behavior where we configured a BaseWindowedBolt as a tumbling window with
both Count and Duration based policies and expected a Count + Time-Based tumbling window,
but realized this only gives a Count base tumbling window.  This seems like it could be a
useful feature to prevent events from potentially sitting in a count policy for an indeterminate
amount of time before the max pending count is reached.  [feature request if this doesn’t
already exist (couldn’t find it in issues.apache.org after some searching)]

It seems like one would be able to implement a Tumbling Count and Time Based Window with the
BaseWindowedBolt configuring it as a non-tumbling window with Duration and Count settings.
 And utilizing the “New” list from the window only, or is this assumption wrong?

Cody