storm-user mailing list archives

From Gireesh Ramji <gireeshra...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: How long until fields grouping gets overwhelmed with data?
Date Thu, 11 Aug 2016 09:06:34 GMT
It does not matter who hashes it as long as they all use the same hash function it will go
to the same bolt

      From: Navin Ipe <navin.ipe@searchlighthealth.com>
 To: user@storm.apache.org
 Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2016 4:56 PM
 Subject: Re: How long until fields grouping gets overwhelmed with data?

If the hash is dynamically computed and is stateless, then that brings up one more question.

Let's say there are two spout classes S1 and S2. I create 10 tasks of S1 and 10 tasks of S2.
There are 10 tasks of a bolt B.

S1 and S2 are fieldsGrouped with B.

I receive data x in S1 and another data x in S2.

If S1's emit of x goes to task1 of B, then will S2's emit of x also go to task1 of B?

Basically the question is: Is the hash value decided by the Spout or by Storm? Because if
it is decided by the spout, then S1's emit of x can go to task 1 but S2's emit of x might
go to some other task of the bolt, and that won't serve the purpose of someone who wants all
x'es to go to one bolt.