storm-user mailing list archives

From Dominik Safaric <dominiksafa...@gmail.com>
Subject Storm fault tolerance benchmark
Date Sat, 13 Aug 2016 15:02:20 GMT
A few months ago, I've started investigating part of an empirical research several stream processing
engines, including but not limited to Storm.

As the benchmark should extend the scope further from performance metrics such as throughput
and latency, I've focused onto fault tolerance as well. In particular, the rate of data items
lost due to various faults. In this context, I have the following set of questions.

The Nimbus daemon is considered as a single point of failure (SPOF). Meaning that having the
Nimbus down, the use is unable to submit new parts of a topology, parts of existing topologies
cannot be activated/deactivated nor rebalanced. In regard to a failed Nimbus daemon, the questions
of mine are:

If the Nimbus has not been restarted yet, while during that period a Worker’s Supervisor
fails and the bolt supervising it receives high volume throughput data, will the data tuples
get lost?
If a Worker gets down, the Supervisor shall restart it on a different port. If no port is
available, it will be restarted onto a different Worker. But, assuming two Workers exist -
one gets down, and the computation is being restarted on another Worker already reaching a
peak in the resources allocated? Will in this case data items be dropped because the Worker
might not have sufficiently enough resources for the underlying Executors?

Thirdly, what other fault tolerance scenarios might result to data items being lost?

Thanks a lot in advance!