+1 on moving to Java 8 for 2.x release.

As Jungtaek has already mentioned Oracle stopped supporting JDK/JRE 7 since April 2015. Java 8 brings better APIs and it will make our code look better and future user APIs can be designed lot better.

Thanks,
Satish.

On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 3:11 PM, Jungtaek Lim <kabhwan@gmail.com> wrote:

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Jungtaek Lim <kabhwan@gmail.com>
Date: 2016년 8월 12일 (금) 오후 6:38
Subject: Re: [Discussion] Dropping Java 7 support on master
To: <dev@storm.apache.org>, <users@storm.apache.org>

I'm not sure we would like to continue discussion on cross mailing list.
Please let me know if we want to split discussion into two separate thread per mailing list.

I'm +1 on dropping Java 7 support on master (2.0.0).

While porting clojure code to java 7, we needed to convert functional style functions to for loop which is too verbose and hide intention. It also drops productivity.
We can do similar style by using Guava but it's more verbose, and Guava is one of libraries I don't want to add as dependency. (Not only storm-core, but also other modules.)

I'm not sure how much users are forced to not use Java 8. (This is common concern of upgrading JDK version.)
At now, Java 8 is over than 2 years ago, and Oracle drop public support of JDK/JRE 7 1 year ago. Furthermore, Java 9 will be released to next year. (actually planned to this year)

I'm also the one who need to take a deep look at Java 8, but I think the time has come. Let's go for that.

Thanks,
Jungtaek Lim (HeartSaVioR)

2016년 8월 12일 (금) 오후 6:10, Harsha Chintalapani <storm@harsha.io>님이 작성:
Hi All,
      Dropping java 7 support on master will allow us to use the new api in
Java 8 and since the master is being used for java migration its good to
make the decision now. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
Harsha