storm-user mailing list archives

From "P. Taylor Goetz" <ptgo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Storm 1.0.2 - when does Storm schedule additional workers?
Date Thu, 06 Oct 2016 20:58:49 GMT
Hi Dominik,

Storm will not (currently) allocate additional workers to a topology unless you tell it to
using the rebalance command. It will start out with the number of workers you specify with
either Config.setNumWorkers() or the topology.workers configuration key.

The supervisors.slots.ports configuration controls how many worker slots are available on
a given supervisor node. The default is 4 slots. So with the defaults if you have 2 supervisor
nodes, you will have a total of 8 slots. All of those slots will be unused until you submit
a topology (no workers running). If you submit a topology with topology.worker: 4, Storm will
allocate 4 workers to the topology, and you will be left with 4 remaining open slots.

Hope this helps.

-Taylor

> On Oct 6, 2016, at 4:31 PM, Dominik Safaric <dominiksafaric@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> I’ve been curious about the following - under what conditions does Storm schedule additional
workers of a running topology and what is its relation with the supervisor.slot.ports configuration
value(s)?