storm-user mailing list archives

From Navin Ipe <navin....@searchlighthealth.com>
Subject Why aren't storm topology send and receive buffers equal sized?
Date Fri, 27 Jan 2017 09:41:57 GMT
Hi,

When going through Michael Noll's explanation
<http://www.michael-noll.com/blog/2013/06/21/understanding-storm-internal-message-buffers/>
on the buffers, I noticed the topology.receive.buffer.size default is 8 and
topology.send.buffer.size default is 1024.

If I have a topology where Spout --> Bolt A ---> BoltB, then if Bolt A
sends a tuple of size 1024, then BoltB won't be able to handle 1024 easily
and will get overwhelmed because Bolt B's receive buffer size is just 8.

Is my above understanding correct? Why are the buffers so different in
sizes?

--
Regards,
Navin