storm-user mailing list archives

From Punit Tiwan <tiwan.pu...@coviam.com>
Subject Re: Sending custom config values from nimbus to components
Date Thu, 26 Jan 2017 09:18:26 GMT

In SubmitTopology method, you can pass custom configurations and those will be passed on to
bolts as Map in "prepare" method.
So while submitting a topology, you can pass your properties file path as argument and in
your main class, you can read those properties and pass on to bolts.

Regards,
Punit Tiwan

> On 26-Jan-2017, at 11:09 AM, Joaquin Menchaca <jmenchaca@gobalto.com> wrote:
>
> For clarification, you are not submitting "from" a nimbus, you are submitting to "nimbus"
scheduler.  You can do this from any system that has storm installed, provided storm.yaml
configured with nimbus, and you have access to cluster systems.

> If you want to save values that the topology can use, you can have a properties file
with your data that is bundled into your jar.  If these are dynamically configured, then this
is a deploy time config, as the jars are immutable once deployed.

> If you need to maintain state configured by an external source, then you can use service
discovery like etcd, consul, or zookeeper.  Recommend avoiding that path, as it is complicated,
and use deploy time state config.

> For my environment, I use a staging deploy container, and use ansible to template up
a config, orchestrate building a jar, and submitting the jar remotely from the container to
a nimbus in the cluster.  The container encapsulates all the config, and library, vm versions
required.