I am able to reproduce the same behavior of STORM-2329 by using a single worker HDFS writer that contains clock skew. This isn't the same mechanism as seen by my users (Mechanism level: Failed to find any Kerberos tgt vs my simulation Mechanism level: Clock skew too great (37) - PROCESS_TGS)  but allows me to correct the top level IOException effectively.  The repro is on Storm 1.0.x but with storm-hdfs from master about a month ago.

What are everyone's thoughts on moving https://github.com/apache/storm/blob/master/external/storm-hdfs/src/main/java/org/apache/storm/hdfs/bolt/AbstractHdfsBolt.java#L151

to its own try/catch and then fail tuples/throw runtime exception in order to force a complete initialization of the bolt?  Users who experience this now restart their topology and have immediate success.  I believe we should only see IOException if the writer is null and we go to HDFS for a new one thus we won't be restarting the bolt unnecessarily.

Kris