storm-user mailing list archives

From Mahak Goel <mahakgoe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Spout sleep wait strategy
Date Tue, 15 Aug 2017 22:34:28 GMT
Awesome, thanks, this makes sense. So here https://github.com/apache/
storm/blob/90ca7fa0c8e73a1884c70e2d3da3388b24d13db0/storm-client/src/
jvm/org/apache/storm/executor/spout/SpoutExecutor.java#L141 it looks like
all acks and fails are processed before nextTuple is called. Is that
correct?

On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 4:33 PM, Stig Rohde Døssing <srdo@apache.org> wrote:

> [...]
>> for that as well? Just trying to understand how things work.
>>
>> Thanks again!
>>

>> On Aug 15, 2017, at 14:48, Stig Rohde Døssing <srdo@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Sure, take a look at https://github.com/apache/stor
>> m/blob/90ca7fa0c8e73a1884c70e2d3da3388b24d13db0/storm-
>> client/src/jvm/org/apache/storm/executor/spout/SpoutExecutor.java#L140.
>> This function is called repeatedly on spouts to emit new tuples. The wait
>> strategy is used in L175 when a call to nextTuple doesn't emit anything.
>> The wait strategy is instantiated here https://github.com/apache/stor
>> m/blob/90ca7fa0c8e73a1884c70e2d3da3388b24d13db0/storm-
>> client/src/jvm/org/apache/storm/executor/spout/SpoutExecutor.java#L73.
>> Note that this is linking to the current master code, the 1.x code is
>> Clojure code instead. The equivalent on 1.x is here
>> https://github.com/apache/storm/blob/v1.1.1/storm-core/src/
>> clj/org/apache/storm/daemon/executor.clj#L659.
>>
>> I believe you have to do it in code for Java-based topology
>> configurations, but you should take a look at
>> http://storm.apache.org/releases/2.0.0-SNAPSHOT/flux.html, which allows
>> you to specify topology configuration as yaml.

>>> Also there's no config file that can do something similar right? It has
>>> to be done in the code?
>>>

>>> On Aug 15, 2017, at 14:31, Mahak Goel <mahakgoel94@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks stig, that worked for me!
>>>
>>> Another question, how does storm internally handle this time out? Is
>>> there some source code you can point me to?
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone
>>>
>>> On Aug 15, 2017, at 12:15, Stig Rohde Døssing <srdo@apache.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> I think you need to give the FQCN for SleepSpoutWaitStrategy instead of
>>> an instance, since the config must be serializable to JSON, a little
>>> surprised you don't get an error when you submit that topology. If you're
>>> using the default wait strategy, you can just leave out the
>>> TOPOLOGY_SPOUT_WAIT_STRATEGY part.
>>>
>>> Here's what works for me (based on the word count topology in
>>> storm-starter):
>>>
>>> builder.setSpout("spout", new RandomSentenceSpout(), 5)
>>>         .addConfiguration(Config.TOPOLOGY_SPOUT_WAIT_STRATEGY, new
>>> TestWait().getClass().getName())
>>>         .addConfiguration(Config.TOPOLOGY_SLEEP_SPOUT_WAIT_STRATEGY_TIME_MS,
>>> 60_000);
>>>
>>> where TestWait is just an inner class like this (purely so I can print
>>> the configuration, normally I'd just use the built in wait strategy)
>>>
>>> public static final class TestWait extends SleepSpoutWaitStrategy {
>>>
>>>         @Override
>>>         public void prepare(Map<String, Object> conf) {
>>>             super.prepare(conf);
>>>             LogManager.getLogger(getClass()).error("The sleep backoff
>>> is {}", conf.get(Config.TOPOLOGY_SLEEP_SPOUT_WAIT_STRATEGY_TIME_MS));
>>>         }
>>>
>>>   }
>>>
>>> When I run the topology I get the following in the log:
>>> 2017-08-15 18:11:56.596 o.a.s.s.WordCountTopology$TestWait main [ERROR]

and that will apply to all spouts in the topology. Is there a way to do this on a spout by
spout basis? That is, is there a way to configure different times for different spouts?