storm-user mailing list archives

From Roee Shenberg <shenb...@alooma.io>
Subject SecurityManager and storm
Date Sun, 17 Sep 2017 16:02:50 GMT
Hi,

We have a codebase that uses an external JAR dependency, and it seems
storm's "either bundle everything with the topology, or hard-code it on the
supervisor" attitude isn't good enough.

We have two requirements that seem to be conflicting:
1. Running multiple topologies with different versions of a dependency
2. Using Java SecurityManager to enforce a policy

These requirements conflict because requirement #1 implies we should use an
uberjar, and requirement #2 depends on our code being separated into
different JARs: the standard API provides us with a ProtectionDomain when
checking permissions, which has the JAR containing the given class as the
identifier for the code.

(note: the java security permissions algorithm coalesces stack frames
belonging to the same ProtectionDomain so we can't actually see calls to
tainted classes when doing permissions checks when all classes are in the
same JAR)

The two options I see are:
1. externally provision our supervisors with all versions of the dependency
- this is a pain because part of storm's convenience is that it deals with
code provisioning for us.
2. Use one-jar as the classloader (http://one-jar.sourceforge.net/)

Am I missing something? Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks,
Roee