storm-user mailing list archives

From Lawrence Craft <lawrence.cr...@gmail.com>
Subject Behavior of Storm when buffers fill
Date Tue, 26 Sep 2017 08:31:20 GMT
Hi all,

I'm trying to get a better understanding of how Storm behaves in adverse
conditions. I read
http://www.michael-noll.com/blog/2013/06/21/understanding-storm-internal-message-buffers/,
describing the various buffers between different workers and components.

My question: if bolt A emits a tuple that is routed to Bolt B, but Bolt B's
executor buffer is full, how does the system react? I would guess it'd be
kept in the worker's receive buffer, but what happens when that fills? Does
Bolt A's worker send thread block and stall?

Obviously this is not an ideal situation and buffers/backpressure
watermarks should be set precisely to avoid something like this. I'd just
like to get an idea of what happens.

Lawrence