storm-user mailing list archives

From Simon Cooper <simon.coo...@featurespace.co.uk>
Subject RE: Dynamic metrics in V2 system
Date Thu, 29 Mar 2018 16:46:06 GMT
Thanks! Does the new metrics system only create one reporter for the topology, and send the
info between workers, or have one reporter per worker?

Simon

From: Jungtaek Lim <kabhwan@gmail.com>
Sent: 29 March 2018 16:12
To: user@storm.apache.org
Subject: Re: Dynamic metrics in V2 system

Hi Simon,

Actually I'm not familiar with codahale-based metrics system, but from the guide on codahale
website, metrics can be registered even after starting reporters, which makes possible to
have dynamic metrics.

Please refer "Complete getting started" in https://metrics.dropwizard.io/3.1.0/getting-started/<https://emea01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmetrics.dropwizard.io%2F3.1.0%2Fgetting-started%2F&data=02%7C01%7Csimon.cooper%40featurespace.co.uk%7C08937e98d90444458f4308d595876c84%7C19e863aab068484d9f9f990b545c5a0f%7C0%7C0%7C636579331230445822&sdata=58rMUWDUStdFsVjOtgikj%2BX%2BrD5nisGCmZBbqVSaQbg%3D&reserved=0>

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Jungtaek Lim (HeartSaVioR)

2018년 3월 28일 (수) 오후 9:38, Simon Cooper <simon.cooper@featurespace.co.uk<mailto:simon.cooper@featurespace.co.uk>>님이
작성:
Hi,

We're looking at upgrading our topologies to use the new V2 metrics system, however one of
our absolutely core requirements is the ability to dynamically create/assign metrics after
the topology is started up - we don't know what metrics we'll be running beforehand, and the
metrics can change during the lifetime of the topology. We handled this in the V1 system using
IMetric wrappers, but the codehale-based metrics system doesn't seem to have the ability to
do this.

If the V1 system is removed in a future version, this means we won't be able to use the storm
metric system to report our metrics, which is a real shame, as we’ll lose all the built-in
info that storm provides. We'll need to implement our own system from scratch & basically
duplicate all the existing infrastructure.

Is there a way we can create metrics dynamically in the V2 system?

Thanks,
Simon Cooper
This message, and any files/attachments transmitted together with it, is intended for the
use only of the person (or persons) to whom it is addressed. It may contain information which
is confidential and/or protected by legal privilege. Accordingly, any dissemination, distribution,
copying or use of this message, or any part of it or anything sent together with it, other
than by intended recipients, may constitute a breach of civil or criminal law and is hereby
prohibited. Unless otherwise stated, any views expressed in this message are those of the
person sending it and not the sender's employer. No responsibility, legal or otherwise, of
whatever nature, is accepted as to the accuracy of the contents of this message or for the
completeness of the message as received. Anyone who is not the intended recipient of this
message is advised to make no use of it and is requested to contact Featurespace Limited as
soon as possible. Any recipient of this message who has knowledge or suspects that it may
have been the subject of unauthorised interception or alteration is also requested to contact
Featurespace Limited.