stratos-dev mailing list archives

From Udara Liyanage <ud...@wso2.com>
Subject Re: how the domain distribution is arranged
Date Thu, 18 Jul 2013 06:32:44 GMT
Hi David,

We can have multiple types of cartridges available in the system.

Ex : ESB, AS, PHP, Tomcat, Mysql ...or a custom type of yours

A tenant can subscribe to any of these.

When he subscribe to one cartridge, he gets a domain for that
When he subscribe to another cartridge he gets another domain

Likewise a single tenant can have multiple cartridges, so multiple domains.
So a tenant is no the domain. In my feeling a domain is kind of a reference
to a subscription, may not be the exact definition.

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 10:39 AM, Lakmal Warusawithana <lakmal@wso2.com>wrote:

> Hi David,
>

> On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 8:41 AM, David Sedarius <david.sedarius@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Thank you for the clarification. Seems I have more questions.
>>
>> is tenant == domain or are they two things?
>>

> Tenant can subscribe to many different cartridges. this subscription can
> be an application. I think you are referring domain is to this application.
>

>>  Its depending on the cartridges that going to be subscribed. Say if our
>>> cartridge ( multi-tenant) can deploy 100 domain (tenants) then all domain
>>> can use single VM. But depending on the load, It can horizontally
>>> auto-scail in to many VM and load will distribute among those. If load
>>> reduce then it will scail-down.
>>>

>> In this case all the domains are deployed in one VM and you will create
>> multiple of this VM. But can one VM host 100 domains?
>>

> Like I said earlier, its depend on the cartridge. For a example WSO2
> AppServer cartridge support multi-tenancy. That means single JVM can host
> multiple domains (application). It is sharing some resources but provide
> security isolation also. In that case we can configure AS cartridge to have
> 100 domains.
>
> If some domain (application) want to dedicated resources then they can
> subscribe to private jet cartridge, in that case it is separate VM.
>

>>> If our cartridge is single tenant then 100 domain will distribute in 100
>>> VMs. But in future we are going to improve this LXC support. Please see [1]
>>> and [2] for more details
>>>

>> I don't quite understand what a cartridge is. Lets say I have 100
>> domains/tenants with their own web apps. Each of these web apps require 2GB
>> of memory to run in a single Java VM and there load can vary requiring
>> horizontal scaling. What will be the setup in this case?
>>

> If you can deploy this application into multi-tenant cartridge then we can
> pack these application into single VM. If you want to give dedicated
> resource with 2GB memory you can use private jet cartridge.
>

> I hope you will get some idea. Please let us know any questions.
>

>>> [1]
>>> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/stratos-dev/201307.mbox/raw/%3CCACNEwtOcgAMAREQ1E3wZ_AazKNbqG1A4e5hUg%3Di_o5isDWggSw%40mail.gmail.com%3E/2
>>> [2]
>>> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/stratos-dev/201307.mbox/raw/%3CCACNEwtOwDAT2%3DQ1YoTHGqaywnd2jjMsUReoM%3DipSzdeBZdoSNw%40mail.gmail.com%3E/2