struts-user mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: Difference between Turbine and Struts
Date Fri, 23 Jun 2000 16:38:48 GMT
Robert Balahura wrote:

> Hi Craig,
>
> Do you have any suggestions for the separation for presentation and content
> using Struts?  My goal is to separate content  and presentation as much as
> struts separates business logic and presentation.

One of the approaches I'm looking at for this is to let you define XSLT
mappings in your JSP page itself -- something like this:

    <xsl:xslt stylesheet="xxxxx.xsl">
        ... XML elements to be transformed ...
    </xsl:xslt>

There is a custom tag somewhat like this in the "jakarta-taglibs" project
already, but at the moment it deals only with external XML and XSL files -- we
need an extension for the nesting option above.  There is also work going on in
the Servlet 2.3 and JSP 1.2 specs that might let you specify things like XSLT
transformations externally, to be applied for you by the servlet container.
But that's for the future -- this approach should be feasible now.

I am not an XML guru, but it seems to me that any such approach would mean not
using the "form" series of custom tags, because they render legal HTML syntax,
but not necessarily legal XML syntax.  Am I missing something here?

Craig