struts-user mailing list archives

From "Kevin Duffey" <kduf...@buymedia.com>
Subject Struts - latest build
Date Wed, 21 Jun 2000 05:12:16 GMT
Hi,

Sorry..posted this to the wrong subject in the group...trying again. If your
reading this twice..I apologize for the mixup.

I just downloaded the latest Struts. Damned if Craig implemented my
suggestion! The ActionForward class for a return type from perform(). The
only downside is..all my actions now have to be edited to return this type.
Other than that..pretty kewl.

So question to Craig...first, does each of my actions need to create a new
ActionForward object, and populate it, then return that to use the
forwarding capability that I assume is worked into ActionServlet (is it?).

A thought..return an Object type, instead of ActionForward. In
ActionServlet, use instanceof to see if it is of type String. If it
is..forward to that page. If not, check if it is of type ActionForward..and
if so..typecast it and use that object. The reason I ask for this is..its
often nice to just return a String of the page to forward to, instead of
having to create a new object then return that. While returning a string
creates a new object, its a bit less code for every action to just return
the String.

Ofcourse..I would much rather use a "mapping" in the action.xml file, which
I see you added as well..so that I can just have a lookup done based on the
action being called. But I am not quite sure how that works. Do I still need
to create an ActionForward object, populate only the "forward" name, and the
ActionServlet checks to see if the relative path is empty..if so, do a
lookup on the name from the action, or what?

A feature request:

  Ability to NOT use the international classes, via an init param. In other
words, conditionalize the use of a resource bundle, getMessage() calls, etc.
That way..if my app is strictly US bound, I don't have to worry about the
JDK 1.3 bug with ResourceBundle that apparently exists, so that I can run my
code under JDK 1.3. I found out that Orion works fine with Struts, except
when running Orion under JDK 1.3, because there is a bug in JDK 1.3
assocated with the getResourceBundle() call or something. Is this true?

Thanks.