struts-user mailing list archives

From "Robert Edgar" <robed...@hkstar.com>
Subject RE: Sorry, Yet another problem
Date Sun, 02 Jul 2000 05:56:01 GMT
Thanks for the very quick response<g>

I now have got my first "struts" page working so I am happy.

Will use the "compile" script for today but will take a look at ant when I
have time..........

Just rushing to get a site up by next weekend, converting all the code to
use struts, not as bad as it sounds as I had designed it with the idea that
it could "plug" into different strategies. Mainly involves creating
"actions" to call existing bus obj and doing the front ends with taglibs
which I needed to do anyway...

Rob

-----Original Message-----
From: Craig R. McClanahan [mailto:Craig.McClanahan@eng.sun.com]
Sent: Sunday, July 02, 2000 1:36 PM
To: struts-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Re: Sorry, Yet another problem

Robert Edgar wrote:

> Well sort of resolved it, thanks to another thread with a similar
problem...

> I had placed another copy of struts jar under jdk1.3/jre/lib/ext as I need
> it there to compile stuff, BUT with that copy there then I get the erro
> message if I run Tomcat. Delete this jar and its OK.
>
> It a pain but now I must copy struts to the directory, compile, delete
> struts, restart tomcat etc etc etc....
>
> This is a real pain...
>
> any thoughts on another work around

Two different approaches come to mind.

* Create a "compile" script for your application that temporarily adds
  the struts.jar file to the compiler's class path.  On Unix, you'd be
  doing something like this:

    javac -classpath /path/to/struts.jar:$CLASSPATH "$@"

  On Windows, the equivalent is:

    javac -classpath \path\to\struts.jar;%CLASSPATH% %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8
%9

* Use the "Ant" build tool <http://jakarta.apache.org/ant> that is used
  to build all of the Jakarta projects.  Ant is a portable replacement
  for Make that runs on any platform, and (among other things) lets
  you configure the class path used by compilations.

I use the latter approach for building the Struts distribution itself -- you
can look
at the "build.xml" file in the "etc" directory of the Struts distribution to
get a feel
for the power of Ant.  Ant is being adopted by many of the open source
Java-based
projects as their standard build environment.

> Rob

Craig

org.apache.struts.taglib.MessageTag.doStartTag(MessageTag.java:332)
>         at

_0002flogon_0002ejsplogon_jsp_0._jspService(_0002flogon_0002ejsplogon_jsp_0.
> java:68)
>         at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:126)
>         at

org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.service(JspServlet.ja
> va:174)
>         at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:261)
>         at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:369)