struts-user mailing list archives

From "Malcolm Davis" <malc...@nuearth.com>
Subject RE: [Fwd: WAR deployment]
Date Fri, 07 Jul 2000 01:54:51 GMT
"The WAR file format does not conform to all the
requirements of JAR format because the classes in
a WAR file are not usually loadable by a classloader if the
JAR is added to a classpath." - SUN documentation.

Yea, so what if the ANT tool puts the meta-inf in
the WAR, that doesn't mean it correct.  Why should
the 'meta-inf\' be taken out?  Because it's not used
and is misleading, but it doesn't bother me, I know
it doesn't do anything.  It's the newbies I'm concerned about.

Deployment:
Deployment is J2EE implementation specific.  iPlanet opens
the war and adds an ias-web.xml file, and registers servlets
in iPlanet's registry system.  Some of the deployment tools
have issues with the WAR file format, not because of the WAR
file, but because the tools are not very good.