struts-user mailing list archives

From Carles Pi-Sunyer <car...@good.com>
Subject Question about struts application model (DataSource, Business Log ic beans)
Date Mon, 12 Mar 2001 17:35:16 GMT
Hi,

I'm using Struts for a new application that I'm developing. I have a
question about the separation between the Action classes and the Business
Logic beans.

My Business Logic beans are making database accesses to manipulate the
underlying data model. I am planning on using the struts db connection pool,
which is supplied through the DataSource. My problem is that access to the
DataSource is through the servlet.getDataSource() call. How do I make the
Business Logic beans unaware of the servlet/http layer (as suggested in the
developers guide) while still making the DataSource available to the
Business Logic beans? Do I have to pass a reference to the DataSource on
every call the Business Logic beans (not an option that I like), or is there
a cleaner way to do this? I also have a similar issues with logging
services.

I believe that a common way to solve this problem is to bind the DataSource
to a jndi service. I am using tomcat 3.2.1, and I don't believe that this
functionality is supplied in either Tomcat or Struts.

Thank You,
Carles