struts-user mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Deactivate URL-rewriting in logoff action.
Date Thu, 15 Mar 2001 18:22:18 GMT
On Thu, 15 Mar 2001, Ana Narvaez Vila wrote:

> Logoff action usually invalidates session and sends browser to a index
> or welcome page, so it is not necesary to rewrite the URL.
>
> ActionServlet must have a session, so if there isn't a valid session it
> creates one.
> Question is: Is there a way to say to ActionServlet not to create a new
> session ?

It's not just the controller servlet that creates sessions -- JSP pages do
as well, unless you tell them not to with a page directive:

	<%@ page session="false" %>

However, trying to run Struts based apps completely without sessions is
going to cause you some grief in the following areas:

- Internationalized message lookups in the <bean:message>
  tag depend on a Locale object stored in the user's session,
  which indicates this user's current Locale preference.

- The <html:errors> mechanism for displaying validation errors
  relies on the same thing, so you cannot use this.

My advice would be to go ahead and let the sessions be created, and
minimize the memory occupancy by using request scope (rather than session
scope) for all your application's form beans.  We're talking tens of bytes
per simultaneous user for the session itself (and the associated Locale),
so the memory requirements are not onerous -- even if it took 100 bytes
per user, 10,000 simultaneous users is still only a megabyte.  And you are
pretty much certain to run into other resource limits (CPU, database,
network) before you reach that many users anyway.

Craig