struts-user mailing list archives

From "Ajay Chitre" <Ajay.Chi...@DiligentTeam.com>
Subject Struts & Tomcat 4.0
Date Thu, 09 Aug 2001 06:14:29 GMT
Hello,

I have been "playing" with struts for the past couple of months and I have
had fun playing with it.  Time has come now to stop playing and get serious.

I have been asked to develop a web app with Struts & Tomcat.  I have been
using Weblogic for the past couple of years, but this is my first experience
with Tomcat, so I need some help to take some decisions.  (I realize that
this email should really be sent to the Tomcat mailing list, but I believe
there's enough expertise in this mailing list to get these questions
answered!)

After reading thru the Struts mailing list I have concluded the following.
Can someone please tell me if I am on the right track?

1)  From one of Craig's emails it sounds like I should be using Tomcat 4.0,
not 3.2.  Is that right?  But Tomcat 4.0 is a beta release.  Is it reliable?

2)  Doesn't look like Tomcat 4.0 supports EJB.  Does it?

3)  If EJB is not available I can use JDBC - no problem - but doesn't look
like I can create database connection pool in Tomcat.

4)  From one of Ted's emails I think I should use Poolman to create database
connection pool in Tomcat 4.0.  Right?

5)  What's equivalent of Weblogic Time APIs?  Tomcat workers, right?

6)  Can I set up Tomcat to send emails using Java Mail APIs?  In Weblogic
one has to make sure that mail.jar & activation.jar is in Weblogic
Classpath.  Is there any special requirement such as this in Tomcat?

7)  Does Tomcat support JMS?

8)  Which one is better - Log4J or LogKit (which is part of Avalon project
from Jakarta)?

9)  What's the difference between 'Struts' & 'Turbine' (which is another
Jakarta project)?  Pros & Cons?

I apologize for the length of this email.  Thanks in advance for your time.

- Ajay