struts-user mailing list archives

From "Paradis, André" <andre.para...@versalys.com>
Subject RE: Validation FW: Displaying messages passed the request
Date Tue, 28 Aug 2001 18:12:00 GMT
Matt,

Doing a redirection causes a new request to be created, thus you loose
everything you put in the previous request object.  You could save your
messages in user session scope, then do your redirection.  The next page
will have access to the user session and you'll be able to read those
messages.  After messages are read, you can remove the bean from session
scope in order preserve memory on the server.

Andre Paradis

-----Original Message-----
From: Matt Raible [mailto:matt_raible@yahoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2001 2:01 PM
To: Struts User
Subject: Validation FW: Displaying messages passed the request

I have a SaveAction that sets up some success messages using:

messages.add(new ActionMessage("timesheetManage.save.success"));
saveMessages(Constants.MESSAGE_KEY, request, messages);

And upon this save, the findForward("success") forwards to another
action class with:

<forward
          name="success"
          path="/do/editTimesheet?action=Edit" redirect="true" />

But on the JSP after, there are no messages displayed.  I know the
answer why, and that is because "redirect=true".  However, this is the
only way I can forward to another action class in iPlanet.

Anyone know of a workaround to carry these messages into the next page?
Can I check the request in "editTimesheet" to see if messages exist, and
if so - add them to the request again?

Thanks,

Matt