struts-user mailing list archives

From Ted Husted <hus...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Struts action populate a list then display the jsp
Date Fri, 05 Oct 2001 10:50:28 GMT
Yes. Present does work, and I have used it myself. But a tag that took
multiple arguments does sound convient. I was just thinking of couching
the tag in terms of what the page "expects" from a contractual point of
view. This way, it becomes quality-control, best-practice,
design-by-contract feature.

Peter Pilgrim wrote:

> Ted
>
> Well the designer is MOI and the developer also.
>
> I would have thought that some thing a long the line of the following would also work
>
> <logic:notPresent name="SUBSCRIPTION_LIST" >
>
>     <logic:redirect page = "/SelectSubscription.do?action=List" />
>
> </logic:notPresent>
>
> A custom tag that takes care of the above, allows for multiple beans
>  and condensing it to smaller size:
>
> <app:guardPage
>      beanList="SUBSCRIPTION_LIST|LOGIN_PROFILE|REPORT_PROFILE"
>      page = "/SelectSubscription.do?action=List"
> />
>
> --
> Peter Pilgrim          |  |        ++44 (0)207-545-9923
>             .... \  \  ___   /  / ... .
>             -   ----  ( * )  ---   --
> _____________________________Cafe_Savannah,_San Antonio,Ibiza__
>
> ---------------------------------------- Message History ----------------------------------------
>
> From: Ted Husted <husted@apache.org> on 05/10/2001 05:36 AST
> --<CUT>--
>
> Just tell the designer that all links must go through the Struts tags
> (say, to maintain the session and relative path), and that the links
> must use the logical forwards. If you provide a good list of the
> forwards, and the forwards relate to something else from the design
> phase (like a flow chart or a storyboard), they will actually find them
> more convenient that hard paths, and will ~want~ to use them. You also
> tell them that if they link directly to a JSP, the JSP will probably
> fail because it won't have the right data.
>
> Then, you make sure that all the forwards goto Actions, and not JSPs.
>
> If you are really paranoid, run the occaisonal grep to see if there are
> any <a tags or page= properties.
>
> If your JSP does require data beans, it is not a bad idea to document
> that with one or more logic present tags. In fact, an "expects" tags
> that looked for several beans , and then branched to one place if any
> were missing, sounds rather useful. JSP by contract sort of thing.
>
> --<CUT>--
>
> --
>
> This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the
intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately
and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material
in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.