struts-user mailing list archives

From "Sean Owen" <sro...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: ActionForward to anything other than a jsp
Date Sun, 02 Dec 2001 10:56:46 GMT
You can definitely forward to other Actions directly. Typically you map your
Struts ActionServlet to "*.do" in web.xml. If you've done that, then the
forward below won't work unless it ends in ".do"; the URLs of Actions
typically end in this.

Just an aside... there is no problem with instantiating and returning a new
ActionForward object in your Action class, though usually you return an
ActionForward that is looked up from struts-config.xml, like "return
mapping.findForward("nextAction");".

Sean

----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott A. Roehrig" <saroehr@hotmail.com>
To: <struts-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Sunday, December 02, 2001 3:59 AM
Subject: ActionForward to anything other than a jsp

Hi:

I have read the archives and have seen some posts and responses to this
question, but was hoping something more definitive might be posted.

Within an ActionA, I would like to forward to another ActionB to continue
processing. Sounds reasonable. So, I look up the javadoc and see the section
about ActionForward and think okay I would simply do the following in the
first action

ActionForward forward = new ActionForward("/ActionServlet/ActionB");

return forward;

Well, so far no luck to say the least. I seem to always get 404 errors that
the page can't be found. I have seen a post about bypassing the
ActionForward and using the request.getRequestDispatcher and have not tried
that yet since it seemed so logical that the ActionForward method should
work.

No go, the only workaround I found was to have the forward to a .jsp page
that did a <jsp:forward> to the actual action.

Can someone please let me know. Can an Action forward to another Action
instead of a JSP page and if so why does the above method not work?

Thanks for any guidance.

Scott