struts-user mailing list archives

From "Jon.Ridgway" <Jon.Ridg...@upco.co.uk>
Subject RE: Automation options between ActionForm and Value Object?
Date Mon, 03 Dec 2001 15:01:50 GMT
Hi Allen,

Probably the easiest approach would be to use the utility provided by Struts
(now in the commons project):

org.apache.commons.beanutils.PropertyUtils.

Search the latest source of Struts and you will find several examples of its
use. Another useful tip is to reference your vo - via you struts form
directly on you JSP, eg:

So with a vo called personVO, which has a firstname property and associated
getter and is accssed via the getPersonVO method on our form bean you could
use:

<bean:write name="<form name> property="personVO.firstname"/>

This works with all Struts tags that have a property attribute.

Jon.

-----Original Message-----
From: Allen M. Servedio [mailto:allen.servedio@gtri.gatech.edu]
Sent: 03 December 2001 13:43
To: struts-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Automation options between ActionForm and Value Object?

Hi All,

Though I still have much existing material to read in the STRUTS mailing
lists (thanks again for your help Jon!), I have come across three
interesting solutions to dealing with automating or centralizing the
translation of data from Action Forms (presentation layer) to Value Objects
(business layer) and back again. Here are the three approaches:

Translation Pattern:
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/j-jsppatt/?dwzone=java&dwzone=
ibm

Using Property Editors:
http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2001/11/07/jsp12.html?page=2

Using Code Generation:
http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-11-2001/jw-1102-codegen.html

The current one that I have seen referred to in the mailing lists is using
Reflection (which still may easily solve this in most cases) or some type
of mapper driven by XML setup info. Here are the mailing list threads that
I have found on it so far:
http://www.mail-archive.com/struts-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg18315.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/struts-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg18373.html
(an answer from Ted related to msg18315)
http://archive.covalent.net/jakarta/struts-dev/2000/10/0135.xml
http://www.mail-archive.com/struts-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg05437.html

Two other related patterns that I have found are the:
View Helper:
http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/restricted/patterns/ViewHelper.html
Dynamic Value Object:
http://www.theserverside.com/patterns/thread.jsp?thread_id=2722

I was curious what people thought of these solutions and what other
solutions they had come up with.

This is an area that I really want to automate and that I really want to
have a couple of solutions for (since it could generate a great deal of
code that I REALLY don't want to have to rework if I find that the solution
is no good).

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!
Allen