struts-user mailing list archives

From Darryl Nortje <Darr...@astrolabegroup.com>
Subject RE: When to store files in DB vs. File system
Date Mon, 03 Dec 2001 08:58:06 GMT
Hi.

Everyone is going to tell you that you must store it in the database. The
reason are that in different OS's, there is a limit to how many files you
can store in each directory. (windows i think is 10000). I was faced with
this same problem under a time constraint, so never took the time to figure
out how to store the file directly into the database. So i went the a
directory storing route. What I did was Create a directory
root\1\1a\1aa\file.extension like this. Set a limit to the amount of files
in this directory and when that limit was reached incremented the directory
name to root\1\1a\1ab etc etc. And then just stored the directory and
filename in the database and retrieved it like that. I'm pretty sure that
this is not the correct way to do this sort of thing, but it does work. I
will be watching this mail to find out how to do it properly.

-----Original Message-----
From: Andy Timm [mailto:java_coder@yahoo.com]
Sent: Monday, December 03, 2001 9:53 AM
To: struts-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: When to store files in DB vs. File system

Hello, I am developing a webapp where users need to
store files (<200k).  I am wondering if these should
be stored in the (mysql) database, or in the file
system.  I am concerned about the number of files I
could get in the database (possibility for 20,000+
users, so 100,000 files).  On the other hand, I plan
on replicating my database across multiple servers.
Do I then also replicate the download of each file, or
run a batch that copies them periodically?  I would
greatly appreciate advice from anyone who has dealt
with these design issues.  Thank you, Andrew Timm