Yes this is normal. To get to a "protected" area of your web-app, you have to login. The way we've routed users to the main-page all the time is to hit an Action that routes them to the main page. Put a link to this action on your welcome page. A real advantage of container-managed authentication is that users can probably bookmark many pages, and get back to them just by signing in. If you need to perform additional processing when a user logs in, you might consider using Filters. Matt --- storck wrote: > Is that normal that I have to access a webpage in the scure area to get the > login-page? How can I access direct the login-page cause I would like to > have link on my main-page for login > > -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht----- > Von: Jon.Ridgway [mailto:Jon.Ridgway@upco.co.uk] > Gesendet: Montag, 3. Dezember 2001 11:40 > An: 'Struts Users Mailing List' > Betreff: RE: HTTP form based authentication > > > Hi Shri, > > I have found the best (only?) approach is not to use a struts html:form tag > on your login screen as you are posting to the containers auth mechanism not > the struts action servlet, > > Jon Ridgway > www.upco.co.uk > > -----Original Message----- > From: Shri [mailto:sdhoopad@gresham-computing.com.au] > Sent: 02 December 2001 23:29 > To: Struts Users Mailing List > Subject: HTTP form based authentication > > HI all, > > When we follow HTTP form based authentication, for the form field we write: > >