struts-user mailing list archives

From "Robert Nocera" <rnoc...@neosllc.com>
Subject RE: ActionForm scoping problems?
Date Mon, 25 Feb 2002 13:05:46 GMT

From: theron.kousek@webmd.net [mailto:theron.kousek@webmd.net]
Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2002 6:02 PM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: ActionForm scoping problems?

---
<action
        path="/enterBillingEdit"
        type="express.BillingIDActionForm"
        name="BillingIDForm"
.... Rest omitted to save space
---
and the form definition of:

<form-bean name="BillingIDForm" type="express.BillingIDForm" scope
="request"/>

And I have an entry point JSP which invokes actions and such....

I have a post
My BillingIDActionForm action simply loads data into the BillingIDForm
and
saves an attribute in it.

The BillingIDActionForm::perform() then
calls return (mapping.findForward("success"));

Where success maps to:
<forward name="success" path="/BillIDForm.jsp"/>

The "submit" for BillIDForm.jsp is <html:form action
="/handleBillingIDSubmit.do">
where handleBillingIDSubmit maps to:
<action
        path="/handleBillingIDSubmit"
        type="express.BillingIDFormSubmitAction"
        name="BillingIDForm"
        scope="request"
---

In the perform method for: BillingIDFormSubmitAction,
public ActionForward perform(ActionMapping mapping,      ActionForm
form,
etc..)
when I retrieve the variable form and cast it to: BillingIDForm, the
value
I set in the previous action is completely gone.   In this case, it's
back
to null which tells me that a "new" instance of the BillingIDForm was
created in-between my last action this action.....      I thought the
whole
purpose of "request scope" was to retain the same instance of a form or
bean all the way thru from the entry request to the end of the
request....
It does not appear to be the case...

Is there any other decent examples or explanations on when form
variables
descope themselves between requests?    If I go and change all of my
"scope" attributes in the struts.config.xml to "session", my application
works fine.    Trouble is that I want it to work with "request" scope.
think I am definitely missing a key point here somewhere!

I'm sorry, but I'm just not getting it  :-)

thanks,
Theron