struts-user mailing list archives

From <holger.wiech...@web.de>
Subject Re: Best pratice for using Log4j, EJB, Struts, and WebLogic 6.1 together
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2002 10:14:38 GMT
Sorry, that I continue this line even though this is not a Struts issue.

There's more to think about within this setup. Log4J does not
include any transactions/synchronisation for the appenders (you would
have to implement your own to do so). Let's say: you want to log into
the same RFAppender from EJBs and from your WebApp. This, at least
theoretically, doesn't work (no file sync, see Log4J docs).
A good approach might be writing an own Appender, that uses JDBC (using
a text file) for file sync.
But what if you have a cluster on different physical machines and you
want to have a log file on each machine?

Holger

From: Adam
Subject: Re: Best pratice for using Log4j, EJB, Struts, and WebLogic 6.1 together
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 11:06:37 -0800

You may want to think about the configuration thing.  You web app and
your EJBs should be separate, as should your logging.

Another option is to proxy Log4J to the EJB layer, but that is more work
than you want to do.

You can copy the same log file twice as part of your build script, which
would seem to be the easest answer.  If they are almost-but-not-quite
identical, use the ant filter tag while copying.

Singletons in the web application should really be application scope
Beans.  They should be stateless to teh same degree as Servlet is
stateless.  If this is not an option, consider flyweight instead (usally
a better way of doing business than singleton).  In the EJB Layer, A
singleton probably should be a stateless session bean that does not
participate in the transaction. My guess is that you should mark it's
transaction attribute as Supports, but you may want to look into this
more.  Basically, you don't want the Singleton causing deadlock.  Again,
the Flyweight pattern is a better way of doing business.  Most EJB
containers will keep the static classes deployed in the Jar separate
from the static classes deployed in the war file, so you won't have a
true singleton anyway, unless you do it at the container level (like the
lib directory of the servlet container, at least in tomcat land).