struts-user mailing list archives

From Adam Hardy <adam_ha...@altavista.com>
Subject CLASSPATH, env, lib, jars and all that
Date Tue, 12 Feb 2002 16:14:36 GMT
Hi All,

I'm setting up struts to use at home and at work on projects which I take back & forth,
and I want to rationalise the way I set up my progs, java environment, tomcat and all.

One thing complicating it all, which I'm afraid will trip me up when I start using newer versions
in the future, is all the jar files, often multiple copies of which are held by the different
java installations, e.g. xalan.jar or its classes is in tomcat, j2ee, ant. Or jdbc2.0-stdext.jar.
Even just now when installing Wintec Inc. Struts Validator, it comes with all its own copies.

Most of this stuff is in J2EE, but somehow I doubt anyone would advise me to put that in my
CLASSPATH, would they?

So how does Joe Struts organise his/her environment? Do you set up a profile which allows
you to run ant & tomcat and rigorously delete unnecessary jars?

Or do you just tweak every build.xml you have? Or do you chuck everything in tomcat-4.0.1/common/lib?

Thanks for the insight :-)

Adam

http://www.shopping.altavista.com