struts-user mailing list archives

From d...@lexmark.com
Subject RE: Traffic
Date Tue, 12 Feb 2002 17:45:40 GMT

I really do agree that users of the mailing list should be *strongly* encouraged
to search the archives (maybe just with STA, though, so they don't get too
offended!).  Sooooo many questions come up that have been tackled over and over
again.  I was off for a week last week and had almost 900 messages in my inbox
to delete, which is crazy.

Dave

"Galbreath, Mark" <Galbreath%tessco.com@interlock.lexmark.com> on 02/12/2002
07:27:17 AM

      <struts-user%jakarta.apache.org@interlock.lexmark.com>

      <struts-user%jakarta.apache.org@interlock.lexmark.com>
cc:    (bcc: David Hay/Lex/Lexmark)
Subject:  RE: Traffic

It's going to get worse.  Nevertheless, you will never be able to manage the
number/technical level of users in an open forum.  SERVLET-INTEREST became
too congested with basic setup and config questions by people too lazy to
search the archive for an answer (and how many scores of questions have been
asked here regarding ActionForm in just the past 2 weeks?) so a few guys
created ADVANCED-SERVLET-INTEREST and began regulating the level of users.

One thing that helped, however, was being brutally blunt with obviously lame
users and telling them to STFA (search the f*cking archives), STFW (...web)
and RTFM.  This started a couple of flame wars, and the Sun moderator
finally had to banish a few people, but the quality and quantity of posts
changed considerably for the better.

I'm not suggesting that's an answer, but my delete key has been getting a
lot of attention lately....

Mark