struts-user mailing list archives

From Joachim Schaaf ...@cataloom.com>
Subject Re: [JBoss-user] How can I use a background process with JBoss
Date Wed, 13 Feb 2002 14:10:51 GMT
Hi,

Am Mittwoch, 13. Februar 2002 14:16 schrieb Dirk Storck:
> Hi,
> I want to do the following:
> I have a ShoppingCart.
> The users clicks on order and the items from the ShoppingCart are moved to
> my OrderBean. ShoppingCart and OrderBean are EJB's.

It's funny to see how everyone is working on similar problems (even the names
of my classes are the same :) ).

> Now it comes to the problem. The order must be proccessed in background
> cause it will have a long durration.
> After the order has be proccessed the user should be notived somehow.

The EJB spec. doesn't allow threads, so I think you will have to use message
driven beans (MDB, belongs to EJB 2.0). The notification could be done via
email.

> How can I achieve this with JBoss and Struts ? What would be the best way
> to implement this

I haven't used MDB's yet, but the trick is to start a time consuming
operation with a MDB and let it notify you when it's ready; your Struts
action class would simply start the thing and return.

Joachim
--
Dipl.-Ing. Joachim Schaaf | Projektleiter | mailto:js@cataloom.com
cataloom AG | Eupener Str. 148 | 50933 Köln | http://cataloom.com/