struts-user mailing list archives

From ge...@bossuyt.com
Subject Re: Quick question about iterators & beans on a page
Date Fri, 15 Feb 2002 16:09:29 GMT
You probably could do that but I'm pretty sure it will not be fast developping.
Also I think it is not the right way to do struts.

Just do what you have to do in a simple java action and throw your stuff on the
request or the session ( if the data needs to live longer then one request  ) .
Then in your jsp simply use the struts tags to display the data that is on the
request.

Keep it simple !
Keep your knowledge and action in your java actions,
let struts manage the flow through struts-config.xml
and use your jsp's to simply display the information that you have retrieved in
your actions !

greet,
Geert.

On 15 Feb 2002 07:55:15 -0800 Adam Hardy <adam_hardy@altavista.com> wrote:
>Yowsa! Someone is listening. I've just got a bit of P, which doesn't make it
easier.
I did actually get that far in the thought process, but several Actions can
forward to this
page, so can't I just do the stuff in a bean & a tag?

>How about ditching the seperate bean & subclassing the iterator and calling up
my data in the
doStart? That means I don't have to pass in the request to the constructor
because I've got
the TagSupport methods. Or does this conflict with MVC in a big way? I mean
I've got my data
access class which just returns a rowset, all nice & seperate.

>On Fri, 15 February 2002, geert@bossuyt.com wrote:
>

>> In the action that will be forwarded to your jsp you put a list(e.g. an
>> ArrayList)  on the request.  This list contains bean of some kind.
>> Then in your jsp you can write :
>>
>> <logic:iterate id="item" name="NameOfMyListOnTheRequest" scope="request">
>>    <bean:write name="item"
>> property="SomePropertyOfTheBeansThatAreInTheListOnTheRequest" />
>> </logic:iterate>
>>
>> On 15 Feb 2002 07:01:59 -0800 Adam Hardy <adam_hardy@altavista.com> wrote:
>> >Being a bit slow off the mark with this iterator tag. I've found all sorts
of
>> examples and
>> some stuff in the archives here but it's confused me more than helped me.
>> >
>> >If I want a list displayed, no form, just data, the best place to get it is
in
>> a page context
>> bean, right?
>> >
>> >Second, how do I access the page context or the session from within that
bean?

>> >I take it I don't want to create my own bespoke iterator tag, right?
>> >
>> >Any help gratefully received.
>> ><logic:falling fast>Adam</logic>

>> a bean on a
>> jsp which calls the database, and converts it and hands it to an iterator.

is

help@jakarta.apache.org>