struts-user mailing list archives

From Mark Woon <morph...@SMI.Stanford.EDU>
Subject Re: ActionForm Defaults/Updates Question
Date Thu, 14 Feb 2002 22:22:07 GMT
Tom.M.Brunner@dynegy.com wrote:

> 1. What is the best way to load default values into an ActionForm bean that
> will show up the first time a user visits the site and pulls up a jsp page?

You know, this question has come up a bunch of times, but I've never seen any
good responses.

If I've got a form in which users enter contact information, the first time the
user sees it, I'd like to set the default values for the form to whatever I know
about the user.

Since I already have a User object, I would think that the best place to do this
would be in the reset() method of the ActionForm, but there's no way to pass the
ActionForm the User object (or any information that's not part of the form)!  In
the end, I've just grabbed the Form bean from the pageContext and called a
setUser() method so that the reset() method will have something to pull data
from.

Am I missing something?  Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks,
-Mark