struts-user mailing list archives

From Ted Husted <hus...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ActionForm Defaults/Updates Question
Date Thu, 14 Feb 2002 23:52:30 GMT
The best approach is to never let the user go directly to a JSP page.
Always pass control through an Action first, which gives you the
opportunity to pre-populate forms, and a number of any other things.

To prime the pump, you can have the index.jsp forward to an Action.
After that it should always be [action] -> [page] -> [action]

Of course, there is nothing to prevent you from going directly to a JSP,
but in the end, it ends up being more trouble than its worth. Many
people consider it a violation of MVC.

If a form does not need a custom action (yet), you can always use the
standard ForwardAction.

http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/api-1.0/org/apache/struts/actions/ForwardAction.html

-- Java Web Development with Struts.
-- Tel +1 585 737-3463.