struts-user mailing list archives

From "Dave J Dandeneau" <Dave.Danden...@viant.com>
Subject RE: Memory consumption of tags
Date Fri, 22 Feb 2002 14:15:48 GMT
We actually opened a support issue with WebSphere because our JSPs were generating "Branch
too large" exceptions in Websphere but in no other servers. They told us that there was an
optimization in the works that a client is testing but it is not public yet.

Here is what the jsp compiler generates for each message tag on Websphere 4.0.1:

MessageTag messagetag = new MessageTag();
messagetag.setPageContext(pagecontext);
messagetag.setParent(htmltag);
JspRuntimeLibrary.introspecthelper(messagetag, "key", "Loginlogout.login.title", null, null,
false);
try
{
  int k = messagetag.doStartTag();
  if(k == 2)
    throw new JspTagException("Since tag handler class org.apache.struts.taglib.bean.MessageTag
does not implement BodyTag, it can't return BodyTag.EVAL_BODY_TAG");

  if(k == 0);

  if(messagetag.doEndTag() == 5)
  {
    return;
  }
} finally {
  messagetag.release();
}
((JspWriter) (obj3)).print(_jspx_html_data[6]);

It doesn't look like too many objects are created, but it seems like there may be some way
to optimize it further.

Thanks,
dave dandeneau