struts-user mailing list archives

From "Emaho, Ghoot" <Gh...@PETROTECHNICS.co.uk>
Subject RE: Log4J and Struts - using Chiki's log4j configuration and getting tons of messages
Date Wed, 13 Feb 2002 10:37:14 GMT
Hi Matt

I can only assume that the initial error (when you have no log4j.properties file) is down
to the extensions you are using being dependant on log4j - which means you need the properties
file so it knows what to do.

Using the Chiki log4j sorts this out - but there are a couple of things which may be giving
you too much detail in your logs.

The category definitions only affect logging messages going thru that category, so changing
them in the properties file will only affect the messages which go thru that category. Then
there is the debug level as detailed in your web.xml....

One question to consider is which category the messages are coming through (from one of the
extensions), and then include THAT category in your log4j properties file at the appropriate
level. You should find some mention of the Category in use in the extensions documentation.
By using the Chiki config for log4j, the used Category isnt mentioned - isnt set to any level
- so you're getting all the messages. By including it and setting the level as required will
reduce the number of messages.
I'd check your web.xml too. As the one included here doesn't have debug levels set to zero...I'm
not totally familiar with the extensions you are using (yet) but the messages must be coming
from them if you are not using any loggin in your app yet. So check the docs that come with
them (and examples) for any mention of the log4j dependancy and configuration re the Category
being used..

Hope this helps

Ghoot