struts-user mailing list archives

From "Emaho, Ghoot" <Gh...@PETROTECHNICS.co.uk>
Subject RE: Confirm Style (was: Request: Property vs Attribute)
Date Fri, 15 Feb 2002 14:13:39 GMT
Sometimes it is preferrable to have a 'generic dialog' page, rather than messages at the top
of the screen. This isn't an either or situation, in our apps, both styles are often required
and used.

We implemented a solution that basically implements a 'navigation stack', as the needs of
our app's in this area get very complex. But basically this allows us to not only dynamically
determine where to go when 'ok' is pressed, but to stack these up for 'nested operations',
thereby returning the user thru a particular workflow (the back button and history are not
suffiecient for this purpose)

One other point - it is NOT ALWAYS bad practise to have workflow info come from a source other
than the struts config. In fact, in many systems this is an absolute requirement. Our apps
have some very complex workflow, and in these situations the struts config is not suitable
to model the interactions required - and we wouldn't want to put it there anyway, because
it is inherently dynamic ie it can and does change from one time to the next. So to attempt
to model this kind of scenario in the config would be folly. However, I agree that for most
situations  it IS good practise to use the config for this info. Just remember that there
are no hard rules here.

So the upshot is that implementing a dynamic 'navigation stack' (incedentally, without hidden
fields) can solve all the problems you have with a generic dialog scenario, or more complex
workflow - where the flow is dynamic.

Hope this helps - if you need more info then contact me. We have implemented this in a production
enviornment successfully.

Thanks

Ghoot