struts-user mailing list archives

From Fred Livingston <FLivi...@physiome.com>
Subject RE: Are Vectors in a FormAction set to null after a user has subm itted a form?
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2002 16:25:44 GMT
I can't comment on the scope issue; but, I have had similar problems.

Think about what is going on. HTML cannot deal with collection and arrays,
right. That's why we iterate through them and make our static html page.
When the HTML form comes back to the server, the vectors are null because
they simply do not exist in the HTML form.

I suppose setting scope to session could work, but it is an inelegant
solution,to me ;)

What I have done to get around such problems is bounce to an action to
refill the Collections and then send on to another action. This works well
if you just need a simple database query.

Another method would be to use javascript to flatten the arrays to a long
string and place in a hidden filed upon submission. And then in you action,
tokenize through the flattened string, create your Vector, and pop back into
the form.

-Fred