struts-user mailing list archives

From "Keith Chew" <keith.c...@jungledrum.co.nz>
Subject RE: Best Approach for Database Access?
Date Tue, 12 Feb 2002 20:47:14 GMT
Hi Paul

I follow this design practice for both EJB and non-EJB applications. The
ones marked with * live at the application server JVM.

(1) Non-EJB environment
=======================
JSP -> ActionBean -> ServiceBean -> DaoBean -> DB

(2) EJB environment (BMP or Session)
====================================
JSP -> ActionBean -> * ServiceBean -> * DaoBean -> DB

(3) EJB environment (CMP)
=========================
JSP -> ActionBean -> * ServiceBean -> DB

Notes:
======
ActionBeans are the action classes of Struts
DaoBeans are normal JavaBean classes which knows how to communicate with the
DB, ie all SQL code goes here.
In (1), you need to take care of transactions on your own.
The ServiceBean in (1) is a normal JavaBean, but an EJB in (2) and (3)
In (3), we do not need a Dao, since the CMP does all that work for us.

Hope this helps
Keith