struts-user mailing list archives

From Ken.H...@ubsw.com
Subject Turbine style multiple method actions
Date Thu, 07 Feb 2002 10:43:11 GMT

I'm just trying to catch up with what's changed in struts 1.0.1 / 1.1
from the version I previously used (pre version numbers). Is there a
facility to map a request to different methods / actions based on a
request parameter?

For example, if the request contains a parameter "function", can I
choose the Action that will be invoked, or alternatively, can I invoke
different methods in the action defined in the form.action URL, based
on some parameter? I realise I can change the URL using javascript on
the html form, but this removes the struts config as the control of app
flow. In my previous apps, we found theat often you end up writing
Action classes similar to:

myAction(..) extends Action {

	if (null == function) { doView(..) }
	else if ("submit".equals(function)) { doSubmit(..) }
	else ...

	prepareRequest(req, ..);
 	return mainPageForward;
}

etc

Which makes the action into a type of mini controller. I know this
could be done in a more OO way, but that's not my point, I'd like the
controller to be able to do this in some way. Turbine does this in a
very similar way (though I'm not sure I like their parameter
convention).

My only issue with doing this in the main ActionServlet is that
partioning of the logic should perhaps be encapsulated better -- though
the XML config file provides a suitable scoping for this information.

I've not been keeping up with the nightly developments - does the
"multiple applications", stuff allow this kind of thing?

Ken.

related financial instruments.