struts-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Chris Birch" <ch...@artlas.net>
Subject RE: Character Encoding wrong just for ApplicationResources!
Date Thu, 14 Feb 2002 10:39:16 GMT
Hertzel,

The property files get loaded using ISO-8859-1 Encoding but they understand
unicode escapes.  Convert your file using the java tool (jdk/bin)
'native2ascii' and that should load the strings into the JVM correctly.

The only other possible problem occurs in some Containers (see Tagunov's doc
below for more detail) - The <%@ page contentType="text/html; charset=UTF-8"
%> gets converted into a setContentType() call on the response object, this
has to occur before the output writer is retrieved from the pageContext,
otherwise the default character encoding is used.  Some (web logic 6 amongst
others) set the content type after the writer is called thus rendering the
@page contentType directive useless!

Anton Tagunov's document is excellent and very comprehensive.

Hope this helps,
Chris.


-----Original Message-----
From: Hertzel Karbasi - OPTinity eBusiness Solutions
[mailto:hertzel@optinity.com]
Sent: 14 February 2002 08:40
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Cc: louis.leung@sun.com
Subject: Re: Character Encoding wrong just for ApplicationResources!


Thanks for your response.
But I have already saved the ApplicationResource file in Unicode but the
same results!!
I have tried saving the file in UTF-8 too but again the same results.

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Hertzel
----- Original Message -----
From: "Louis Leung" <louis.leung@sun.com>
To: "Struts Users Mailing List" <struts-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2002 12:15 AM
Subject: Re: Character Encoding wrong just for ApplicationResources!


> or you can covert your properties file strings from native to unicode
using this
> method
>
> return new String(oldString.getBytes(), encoding);
>
> where encoding is the native encoding u used in your properties file
>
> more 'bout charset encoding/decoding on this page :
>
> http://tagunov.newmail.ru/i18n/i18n.html
>
> Hertzel Karbasi - OPTinity eBusiness Solutions wrote:
>
> > Hello All
> >
> > I have added  the following to JSP files
> > <META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html, charset=UTF-8">
> > <%@ page contentType="text/html; charset=UTF-8" %>
> > <html:html locale="true">
> > Change the locale in an Action to iw_IL
> >
> > And get:
> > Constant strings inserted in JSP in Hebrew are OK.
> > Just the Strings (<html:message> coming from Applicationresource are
shown
> > as "??"
> > I have checked the messages in debug and found out that they come as
"????"
> > from the resource.
> > The constant string inserted in the JSP in Hebrew just to check the
browser
> > and they have been displayed right!
> >
> > Any assistance will be appreciated.
> > Thanks
> > Hertzel
> >
>
  ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > --
> > To unsubscribe, e-mail:
<mailto:struts-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
> > For additional commands, e-mail:
<mailto:struts-user-help@jakarta.apache.org>
>
>
> --
> To unsubscribe, e-mail:
<mailto:struts-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
> For additional commands, e-mail:
<mailto:struts-user-help@jakarta.apache.org>
>
>


--
To unsubscribe, e-mail:
<mailto:struts-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
For additional commands, e-mail:
<mailto:struts-user-help@jakarta.apache.org>


--
To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <mailto:struts-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
For additional commands, e-mail: <mailto:struts-user-help@jakarta.apache.org>


Mime
View raw message